Saturday, February 28, 2015

Professional Hopes and Goals


  

One hope that I have for working with children and families is that I am able to create a space in which I and my staff and families feel comfortable and safe to share challenges and struggles related to diversity and navigating relationships in relation to the education of children.

A goal that I have for the early childhood field is to seek out diverse staff and to make educating professionals on issues related to diversity a priority. As a person of color I recall seeing very few of my teachers who were anything other than a white female. It is important for children to see many different people in teaching positions including diversity in gender,sexual orientation, ethnicity, age and more.

As this course comes to a close I would like to thank my colleagues. Their honesty and openness in sharing personal experiences has helped immensely to broaden my understanding of diversity issues. I also appreciate the positive reception I received in sharing my personal stories. It helped me feel comfortable in sharing personal stories that I have yet to share with many. I wish all of you continue success in achieving your personal and professional goals. 

3 comments:

  1. Kara, I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing a discussion group with you. Your passion is contagious and your experience and insight are sure to support the children, families and staff you work with. I wish you the very best as we continue this JOURNEY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara,

    Your professional hope and goal are very laudable. I guess this course has made all of us aware of our own conflicts and conflicts that exist in the society at large because of issues related to diversity, equity and social justice. This course has certainly helped us to come to terms with those issues that affect each one of us and that will allow us to deal and address those issues in better ways. I also wish you success in achieving your personal and professional goal. Hope to see you next week. Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara,
    I appreciate all of your hard work and honesty throughout this course. We have touched upon some very sensitive topics. As you stated some of these stories were difficult to share. Your blog postings have really helped me to relate what we are learning in our class to what we may see on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete