Saturday, January 31, 2015

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Describe at least one example of a microaggression which you detected this week or remember from another time. In what context did the microaggression happen? What did you think and feel when you observed the microaggression or when you found yourself as the target of a microaggression?

In what ways did your observation experiences this week affect your perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people 


"Microaggressions are brief everyday indignities that are verbal, behavioral or environmental, that they may be intentional or unintentionally communicated to women, to people of color, to gay/lesbians that have an insulting message behind them that often time causes severe psychological distress and harm" (Laureate Education, 2011).

This week I was hyper aware of cases of microaggressions. I found the most examples in the media. While driving to work I was listening to my favorite morning show. The hosts were bantering back and forth as they typically do when one said to the other " you're at the bottom of the totem pole buddy". Had I heard this discussion a week earlier I wouldn't have batted an eyelash at the phrase as it has become common in the American lexicon. However, in the past week I learned about microagressions and the unconscious indignities that that impose. I also happened to learn that the phrase in and of itself is wrong. The phrase is meant to say that one is not important, a priority, or a leader among a group of individuals. However in Native American tradition the leaders and most important people or characters from stories are placed at the bottom of the totem pole rather than the top. My sister shared this information with me after learning it from a Native American presenter at a work function who shared that and other offenses Americans commonly make without realizing it. When I first heard the host say the phrase I immediately thought " oh wow there is a microaggression that I never would have thought about". Being an African American I could write a long list of microaggressions that I've experienced or heard of from close friends and family however I never really thought of what would be considered a microgragression to another minority group. My observation this week helped me realize that I am not as aware of discrimination as I previously thought. I have always considered myself well educated and sensitive to the cultures and traditions of others. This experience has helped me further understand that being sensitive and aware is not always enough.


References


Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
 

4 comments:

  1. Kara,
    You made a really great point this week. What you heard on the radio so many other people heard. On a daily basis we are exposed to microaggressions without even knowing it. Due to our newly gained knowledge we can become more aware of this and reflect upon how we might want a situation addressed differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara,
    you provided a good example of microaggression from our daily routine. We must be careful or what we say because they can mean different things in other cultures. It is common for us to overlook many microaggression behaviors because we are not aware of what we are doing or saying. We must begin to pay close attend to things we do or say in order to limit microaggression behaviors. This week's learning of microaggression helped me become aware of my own microaggression behaviors as well as educate my co-worker of her's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kara,
    I also considered myself sensitive to the cultures and traditions of others and was surprised by what I learned about myself this week. I definitely need a lot more work to identify and correct my biases and the words I use that may insult others. Dr. Sue taught us that a "clash of racial realities" often begins with people trying to be friendly (Laureate Education). They have no idea that the recipient is receiving an insult. It saddened me to learn that these unintentional and cumulative indignities leave deep-rooted scars. I completely agree with you that being sensitive is not always enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara,
    I would have never thought twice about the phrase "low man on the totem pole." I agree with you in that I have realized that I am not always as aware of discriminations as I would like to be. A phrase such as the one you discussed is such a clear example of how complacent our culture has become when respecting the rights and histories of certain groups of people. Do you have any suggestions for how we might change certain American vernacular to better respect groups of people?

    ReplyDelete